Growing Up Unvaccinated: A Rebuttal

There are many holes in “Growing Up Unvaccinated“, including how she includes HPV and chicken pox in her repertoire of vaccine-preventable diseases, when those vaccines were not available. Also, an infection of the HPV virus cannot be “removed”. She claims that her mother was a hippy herbalist type, if she was then she wouldn’t put her daughter on antibiotics every year and she would know how to properly use echinacea. She just conveniently contracted all those vaccine-preventable illnesses known to man in childhood? Voices for Vaccines is affiliated with a Dr. Paul Offit who has one hand in Big Pharma’s pocket and who infamous for saying that an infant could safely receive 10,000 vaccines. I could pick on this blog post until the cows come home, but let’s not waste any more time shall we. (For a great deconstruction of the article, see here!)

This blog post has been shared over 375,000 times on Facebook. I have seen it shared by educated, professional parents and healthcare workers alike. It is a purely anecdotal, subjective write up of one person’s stance on vaccines. She knows so many vaccinated, healthy people, and we just have to trust her on that. Well there are plenty of unvaccinated, very healthy people. There are also many vaccinated, unhealthy people. I could boast about how my own partially unvaccinated children are perfectly healthy and how a myriad of vaccines as a teen caused my severe allergies, but I wouldn’t do that, because that is unreliable information.

Instead, let’s look at the reasons why some parents choose not to vaccinate, delay vaccinations, or opt out of select vaccinations. The main reason is because Jenny McCarthy told us not to. Yeah, right. For starters, it is the inherent risk in vaccines. Billions of dollars have been awarded to families who have suffered vaccine injuries. It is often these parents, whose children will suffer lifelong debilitating diseases, that begin to research vaccines and choose to no longer vaccinate their present and subsequent children. I can only imagine how painful it is for these parents to see such offensive vaccine propaganda. Every vaccine package insert lists the potential side effects and ingredients, next time you see your doctor just ask to see one, chances are that your doctor hasn’t read it either. Such side effects include Encephalitis, SIDS, Autism, Guillain Barre Syndrome, and even death. Ingredients can include Aluminum, Mercury, and Formaldehyde, none of which belong injected into the human body.

As a quick example, according to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). During 2011, a provisional total of 222 measles cases were reported from 31 states.70 (32%) measles patients who were hospitalized, 17 (24%) had diarrhea, 15 (21%) were dehydrated, and 12 (17%) had pneumonia. No cases of encephalitis and no deaths were reported”. Conversely, the vaccine adverse event reporting system (VAERS), which is co sponsored by the FDA and the CDC reported that there have been 698 FDA Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) reports related to MMR, MMRV (MMR plus varicella) and measles vaccines in 2011 ­including 4 deaths and 280 emergency room visits. 698 VAERS reports are almost six times more than the number of measles cases. Keep in mind that former FDA Commissioner David Kessler wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association that “only about 1% of serious adverse events are reported to the FDA.” Not surprisingly I hope, I would rather my children get the measles and receive natural immunity than to receive the vaccine. A healthy, previously breastfed, well nourished child will not suffer from the actual measles. It was the chicken pox of our grandparents era.

But, vaccines almost eradicated all of these illnesses, and people like me are bringing them back! Right? Not. Deaths from these illnesses were well on their way to eradication before the advent of vaccines, as illustrated in the below graph. Nutrition and hygiene also greatly contributed to this. The concept of herd immunity is nil, since the majority of the adult population is not vaccinated. Our childhood vaccinations only last for an average of 7 years (it varies from vaccine to vaccine and individual to individual), so all of our childhood vaccinations (which were less than half of what kids get today, I should point out) are no longer effective. How could the herd, the entire population, be immune? It’s not. Unless every single citizen had boosters throughout their life, which we certainly do not, herd immunity does not exist. Media propaganda has pointed fingers at the unvaccinated for recent whooping cough outbreaks, but it actually has a lot more to do with the inefficacy of the vaccine than it does the unvaccinated.

Growing Up Unvaccinated: A Rebuttal

An unofficial survey comparing unvaccinated children to vaccinated children shows that vaccinated children are 2 to 5 times more likely to suffer from diseases such as asthma, allergies, and eczema than unvaccinated children. I wish there was scholarly research comparing these two groups, but unfortunately there isn’t. Considering that the majority of scholarly research is funded by billion dollar pharmaceutical companies, it’s understandable that they would not be willing to fund research that could potentially undermine their prerogative.

The author of the above blog post says that “I was so freaking crunchy that I literally crumbled. It was only when I took control of those paranoid thoughts and fears about the world around me and became an objective critical thinker that I got well.” To be in agreement that those who choose not to vaccinate themselves or their children are paranoid and not objective critical thinkers is just downright insulting. We have often done hours upon hours of research and reading on the subject in order to make an informed decision on the matter. To essentially call us liars and propaganda whores is just cheap and low. I am not judging you for your parenting decisions, so please do not judge mine. We are all parents of beautiful children, we need to be kind to each other. I am not trying to convince you to not vaccinate, I am simply asking for mutual respect. As parents, as individuals. Please do not insult our intelligence, both yours and mine, by sharing such unfounded, silly hogwash. Read vaccine package inserts so you can make an informed decision and have some understanding and grace for where non-vaccinating parents are coming from.

Off I go to have my aura read, join my fellow non-vaccinators to examine crop circles, and consult my tarot cards to see what my next blog post should be about. Stay tuned for an in-depth examination of each of the present vaccinations and the diseases they are meant to prevent.

Stay healthy and kind!

Laura

A compilation of PubMed research articles can be found here

Thoughts on vaccines by a mother pediatrician

A great parent-to-parent resource about vaccines

71 Comments

1. Jen says:

Excellent rebuttal. I enjoyed reading your post and appreciate the time you took to explain how we “crazy” anti-vaxers think and feel about those pointing fingers.

• Laura says:

I’m not sure what exactly to comment on as there are a few things. Recent research definitely questions the efficacy and validity of certain vaccines such as the whooping cough and chicken pox vaccines. When the polio vaccine was introduced, the definition of “polio” was changed, which automatically drastically reduced the number of polio rates. I will be addressing each individual vaccine and disease in future posts, to discuss vaccines as a whole is much too convoluted.

• Nicole says:

Laura, that is correct. I read that in 1957 Eisenhower endorsed the Stalk Polio vaccine, the vaccine was causing Polio and even Stalk himself came out and said dont take it. The president did not want to look like a fool so they changed the way Polio was diagnosed . Polio numbers went down but MS and cystic fibrosis number up. I believe that Polio is still around today.

• Mar says:

Nicole, the polio vaccine was “Salk”, not Stalk and it was a LIVE vaccine. My sister and I were both “Polio Pioneers” meaning some of the first kids to get the live vaccine in about 1954. We both got polio from the vaccine, although mild cases that did not require hospitalization – just a home visit from our doc, hot packs on our cramping legs and aspirin for our fevers and headaches. Our dad stayed home from work to help our mom with us. This was a time of polio epidemics. Those our age all had friends and relatives who had it. There were few families who were not touched by it. It killed. It crippled, and it left people in iron lungs for the rest of their lives. That live vaccine saved many lives. Before the vaccine, schools closed, although the worst epidemic I remember was in the Summer. We never went out in public and our mother went to the store when our dad was home to watch us. We could not play with the neighbor kids, and of course, could not go to our swimming club. The pool was closed after a child came down with polio. My uncle, a 35 year old banker got it. I read a few years ago that polio epidemics were a result of better sanitation starting in the 1930’s. If an infant gets the virus, it frequently does not have the dire effects that an older child or adult will have. Getting the disease in infancy develops immunity. Our better sanitation kept infants from getting it and developing the immunity. Interesting, but few people over the age of 40 got it. Likely they had natural immunity. The vaccine your children would get now is not a LIVE vaccine, but rather a clone and a DEAD virus. I also had the bad measles, rheumatic fever and mono. I escaped mumps, although my sister had them. My mother’s oldest brother died in infancy from whooping cough. I cannot imagine the horror of watching your child choke to death. I have mixed feelings about how many vaccines children should have, but in the 20th century they reduced childhood mortality immensely. Up until vaccines came into use, almost every family lost, or nearly lost a child to one of the “childhood” illnesses. Seeing people, with large smallpox scars was common. Before antibiotics, children would get strep and then in some cases, the complication of strep is meningitis. Now, we have immediate tests and antibiotics to treat strep. Until a vaccine was developed for rabies, people had to watch their pets. If you were bitten by a rabid pet, or critter, you would likely die. What we have now is MRSA and all sorts of antibiotic resistant bugs. I really do question the need for some of the additives. I also know my kids had a bad reaction to what was called the “tri” vaccine. I think it was pertussis (whooping cough) and 2 others. My first one got very sick with a very high fever. When it came time for the second booster shot, the doctor reduced the dose and my son had 2 shots. I do agree that perhaps all of the auto-immune illnesses we are seeing may be related, but it also may be related to all the GMO stuff in our diet. (Very hard to avoid unless you grow your own corn to feed to your chickens and your own soy to feed to your own livestock, and your own wheat for your bread – but that is another subject.) My suggestion is every parent should do their homework to decide about vaccines. I also know some schools will not allow your child to attend unless they have had vaccines.

2. Jfithen says:

Thank you for this excellent rebuttal! One minor point of clarification, scarletina, or “scarlet fever,” has never been close to eradication. You are right that vaccines have nothing to do with it though, the severity of scarlet fever (“strep with a rash”)decreased after the introduction of antibiotics. The children’s book, “The Velveteen Rabbit,” is about scarletina in the pre-antibiotic age. Today, kids still get scarlet fever (mine did!).

Thanks again for a great rebuttal to a ridiculous article!

• Prudence Dagg says:

Theresa, I am so sorry for your experience. I too have a sister who we believe is vaccine injured. I do not know the details of your situation, but have you ever seen the Gianelloni Family Blog? She has posts about vaccines, health issues, etc., and I believe she is an advocate for the vaccine injured. There may be something regarding how some parents are helping their children that could be of use to you.

I realize it’s very overwhelming when so much information gets thrown at you. Her blog does come from a different angle, though, as it’s not just traditional-pediatrician-advice-worship, but rather she quotes professionals who take different angles. Best wishes for hope and healing.

3. Medical prof says:

So many false statements in this article. 🙁 It’s unfortunate that any and everything is allowed online to confuse and miseducate.

• Jennifer says:

So Medical prof, please, enlighten us with your unbiased opinion on what should and should not be allowed online. We who are too stupid to think for ourselves need you to guide us. Enlighten us on what is true and false in this particular blog, for we neither have your expertise or education to guide us

• Dear Medical prof,
      Please tell us what you feel is a false statement in the above article. Sometimes I feel that doctors are the very last people to open their minds to the truth. They certainly have a long history of ignoring lifesaving information in the past. Check out Drs Semmelwiez or Lister. What about more recently, ignoring almost everything midwives (and women everywhere) know about childbirth. The doctors of the 20th and 21st centuries did untold harm all the while saying that they were saving mothers from death in childbirth. Yes, fewer women died, but nursing was discouraged, women did not bond with their babies. Babies were impaired by too much anesthetic and umbilical cords were cut too soon. Women were given episiotomies unnecessarily and generally traumatized by the experience of birth in hospitals. What really happened to keep women from dying was advances in hygiene and the correct use of antibiotics.
      The war on Cancer is another area where doctors have been wrong countless times and yet simply refuse to look at the facts if they are outside what they consider “mainstream”.
      I would really like to know your opinion. Will you please let us know?

4. Kristy Jensen says:

I am sorry to tell you but I know people who have gotten the measles and they were breastfed and unvaccinated. They ended up in the hospital. I agree with the above ccommentor who said that it is unfortunate that anything is allowed on the Internet. People please educate yourselves. Don’t rely on one person’s “advice”. And by the way, I actually do know people who don’t vaccinate because of Jenny McCarthy. Yes that is crazy but sSe has steered a lot of people in her direction for the wrong reason.

• Laura says:

Hospitalization is preferred over potential life long neurological damage by many. I personally do not know anyone who has chosen not to vaccinate due to anything Jenny McCarthy said, of which I know very little about as I began intensely researching the subject long after she was on the scene.

What I wrote above was to inform others on the reasons why parents choose not to vaccinate, delay, or opt out of select vaccinations. I am unsure of what other information you are referring to in educating oneself and I am not offering advice, quite the opposite as the original “Growing Up Unvaccinated” was merely a personal, subjective experience that offered no scientific data whatsoever.

• Sabine says:

Lets say 2011 was a fairly typical year for measles in America. 70 people from 31 different states were hospitalized and not only do you, Kristy, know one of them, you know more than one yet you don’t know any of the 698 vaccine injured people! Those are some astonishing odds!

• Taximom5 says:

I don’t think there are any reports of more than one person hospitalized for measles in the same city in the past several years, are there? But I’ve seen the claim “I know people who were hospitalized for measles” or the similar claim “I’m a nurse and have taken care of several babies hospitalized for measles” on several comment feeds.

Funny, you’d think those cases would have been reported, as both the government and the health care industry are tracking them, and the media reports on every outbreak…

And Kristy Jensen says she knows whether or not these people were breastfed? And their vaccination status as well?

How unusual.

• Some random mom says:

I don’t understand how it would be considered “unusual”. I don’t see a time frame given, so why assume she meant just recently? Also, are you trying to say that this person does not know people in other states?

Whether she is truthful or not, I think you need to get off your high horse and stick to what you know about yourself, not other people you clearly don’t know.

• Brian Sandle says:

I might be a threat to the sugary drink corporates, but I’d like to see data on how much sugar those measles sufferers were ingesting. Also diabetes has become huge medical business: amputations &c. This article says some vaccination was stopped in Japan since it was associated with an increase in diabetes: http://www.vaccines.net/DMSdraft.pdf. Also search Google vaccines site:mercola.com. Include Nass for Jan 2013 interview. We educate ourselves by discussing and reading and cannot if big medbusiness has the only say.

5. Charity says:

Jennifer, you aren’t exactly helping your cause. He didn’t attack anyone, he just said the article was wrong and there was a lot of bad information out there. When you automatically turn to sarcasm and sniping, you’re only hurting your argument. Now, personally, I vaccinate. Not a bit of evidence that I have seen says that the risks outweigh the benefits. Now, Ms. Laura, it is possible that the writer of the original article contracted a lot of those ailments. We don’t know her background, her surroundings, her comings and goings. Some people just have bad luck that way. And to say that *if* her mother *was* a hippie, she’d know *insert what you know here* is out of line. You can’t say that, because she isn’t you. She may have taken a different stance on it, she may not have known about it, there are any number of reasons why she would have used antibiotics or not known how to use echinacea, or whatever it is. Also, if I associate with a thief, does that make me a thief? I ask because of your reference to Dr. Offit. And she never said you were paranoid or not objective, critical thinkers. She said she stopped having paranoid thoughts and because such a thinker. She just came to a different conclusion than you did. I propose that perhaps you are a tiny bit too sensitive toward this subject and see insults where none were intended? I choose to vaccinate my children. It doesn’t mean I judge you because you don’t. Everything you have written is based on opinions and “unofficial” surveys. It’s no different than her article. You call for understanding, perhaps you could lay down your arms for a moment and offer a little yourself? Respectfully.

• Laura says:

That was entirely my point, what she is saying is completely subjective and anecdotal. That sort of information is unreliable and untrustworthy, it cannot be verified.

I cited one unofficial survey, because like I said, there is no reliable research on the matter. Nothing I said is based on my opinion, as everything that I have said can be verified. If you have sources that can credibly counter anything that I said I would be more than happy to check it out and comment on it.

If a parent has read a vaccine package insert from the vaccine manufacturer, and is aware of the possible side effects of a vaccine that can and do happen, then that is an informed decision.

The original blog post was certainly insinuating that parents who choose not to vaccinate are out to lunch and need to be enlightened.

• Charity says:

As I said, I meant no disrespect. But as for refuting with other research, I find that to be a rather dangerous road. Anyone can discount what is “credible” based on their own personal bias or opinion, a trap I’ve been led into many times. I felt that her article was her personal viewpoint based on her experiences, which, in the end, is all we can go on because everyone who does any research into topics such as this has SOME agenda. We, as parents, have to trust our guts, what our instincts tell us. My gut told me that the doctor who diagnosed my youngest child with colic was an idiot. (She was three months old and suddenly dropped to a pound under her birth weight and wouldn’t nurse anymore. He said it was “normal” in some babies. My fanny!!!!) It turned out she was lactose intolerant and as soon as I switched her to a soy formula she was back on track. If I had listened to him I could have lost her. (Needless to say, he is NOT her doctor anymore.) I listened to my gut when everyone around me told me my middle child was spoiled because she cries over everything. Not screaming cries, sobbing, huge tears cries. Turns out she’s also lactose intolerant, causing discomfort, and she’s a “hyper sensitive” personality type. My gut tells me that I’ll risk the downside to most shots in an effort to keep my children safe from some of the yuck that is out there. But I promise, I read every piece of paper and grill my doctors relentlessly. I just think that her article was more pointed toward herself and perhaps her mother’s attitude toward the situation, less toward pro-natural parents. Just my two cents.

6. Shannon says:

Charity – my cousin had mercury and heavy metal poisoning from a standard set of vaccines administered at 18 months old. A perfect little girl, permanently brain damaged. Thankfully her parents are well off enough to afford her the special school that she needs. I can tell you that the risk heavily outweighs the so called benefits, if you aren’t one of the lucky ones.

• Charity says:

I am sorry to hear about your little cousin, I really am. But luck will run for or against no matter what side of the vaccination fence you come down on. I just do the best I can and pray that God takes care of the rest.

7. Michele says:

Love this! Couldn’t have said it better myself. Your rebuttals are pretty much in sync with everything I was saying and/or thinking while reading her blog. I learned the hard way what is wrong with our medical system and vaccines, and will never make that mistake again.

8. Tamara says:

Vaccination does not equal immunization. Being vaccinated does not mean you will not contract the disease. The argument that you will get a “lesser” or “weakened” form of the disease because you’ve been vaccinated has never been studied/proven. Their efficacy has also never been tested/studied/proven, as we can see clearly with the measles outbreaks that are happening in vaccinated populations.

There are other risk/side effects besides autism that parents are worried about. A thorough read through the package insert is important.

For example, in the MERCK brand of MMR vaccine they list atypical measles (oh, the vaccine can cause measles??), Pancreatitis, Diabetes mellitus (type 2 diabetes??), Vasculitis, Anaphylaxis, Arthritis, Encephalitis, (brain inflammation???), encephalopathy, Pneumonia, and, of course, DEATH.

SOURCE: http://www.merck.com/…/pi_circulars/m/mmr_ii/mmr_ii_pi.pdf

That is just a hand picked selection of side affects, not even half of the ones listed. Plus, this does not even begin to touch on the ingredients that accompany either the live, or inoculated, virus’/bacteria contained in the vaccine and their side effects. (i.e. thimerosal, aluminum and formaldehyde).

THE RISKS DO NOT OUTWEIGH THE “PERCEIVED” BENEFIT!

• Prudence Dagg says:

I find it really disturbing that people get so worked up about measles. Sure, it *could* kill you, but does anyone know someone to whom that has happened?? Meanwhile, people speak in glowing terms about how we just need to “love” and “accept” those with autism or other ASD disorders (thank you, Autism Speaks). Clearly they’ve never lived with a violent, raging autistic ADULT who was unable to control his/ her own behavior, but couldn’t be kicked out of the house like some other adult child because he/ she was so non-self-sufficient.

There is so very much more to vaccine injury (and death!) than autism, but many seem to circumvent that by essentially reasoning that “The only risk is autism/ That was only Jenny McCarthy and has been ‘debunked’/ plus I’m not worried about autism because it would just make her a little different.”

Just shows the extreme degree to which we are being manipulated.

• Lily says:

I find it interesting that the inserts that come with the vaccine say all these things are side effects, yet the printout the nurse gives you in the exam room say either the side effects are mild (fever, pain at injection site, vomiting) or that the harshest side effects are extremely rare and happen in less than 1% of patients!!!! If the insert lists them as side effects, then they should be listed on the printouts, too!!! I used to live in Cleveland, Ohio, and there was an hour-long documentary on the new HPV vaccine and how several girls, mostly teenagers between 13 and 17 were so adversely affected. One girl, I believe she was 15, was perfectly normal, received the shot, and was hospitalized almost immediately and is now severely handicapped. She requires 24-hour care now and appears to have cerebal palsy. She is brain-damaged for life! Her mother wishes she had never let her daughter get the vaccine, but had to because the school district requires it. Ohio is a “pro-vaccine” state and will not allow a student enter school without any vaccines, which makes me wonder how my friend with a son who has an auto-immune disorder can go. Ohio is very strict. I hadn’t gotten my middle son’s shots updated and I was threatened with my son being expelled indefinitely. I never got my oldest son the chickenpox “vaccine” because he got it at 4 years old, and I had parents begging me to bring him to pre-school so their kids can get it! These kids WERE vaccinated!!!! I didn’t want my other 2 sons to get vaccinated, but my ex-husband is one of these kind who say, “If everyone is doing it, we need to, too.” He’s also the kind who would jump off a bridge if everyone else were, too. My oldest did fine with the chickenpox…no hospitalization. It all depends on how well a parent takes care of their child, and whether the child means more to them than their career. I stayed home with my son until he was well. When his doctor tried to belittle me, I said to prove to me that there has actually been an increase in kids being hospitalized for this illness if they were so supposed to be vaccinated. He said, “It’s not an actual vaccine. It’s supposed to lessen the symptoms.” Then I asked him why mothers wanted me to expose their vaccinated children to him (one child was 12!! the doctor said that vaccinated kids should get the chickenpox before they’re 7!) I have no faith in a medical world that believes everyone is the same and will react the same to every medication. I find it funny how the blame for the return of illnesses is being blamed on international travel. Where’s the study results saying that every person who has had the illness just came back from some third-world country??? My mother had mumps, measles, and chickenpox…no deafness, no sterility, no lifelong complications, and no traveling overseas!. Her mother took care of her and made her rest until she was healed…and she had 8 kids to tend to besides my mother! All of them had those three illnesses, and no adverse problems! And today’s vaccines DO still contain thimerosal…”in trace amounts” to prolong shelf-life. Stuff like that is not meant to be in our bodies, otherwise it would already be there!

• Prudence Dagg says:

Lily,

NVIC may be of help here. All states have exemptions with Missisippi and WV being the strictest (only medical).

Very sad that parents are not being told their rights. Also check vaclib.org on rights and the Gianelloni Family Blog, Modern Alternative Mama, and livingwhole.org for other insights on vaccines.

9. Maddy says:

There are many holes in your first paragraph alone.
    She includes, in her repertoire, chicken-pox and HPV because she contracted them. They are _now_ vaccine preventable, of course, but she included them because the point she was making was that, as well as not being vaccinated, eating organic etc, having a healthy lifestyle, did not prevent her from getting those illnesses. It was not solely about vaccines.

There were several other vaccine-preventable illnesses that she did not contract: smallpox, polio, diphtheria, tetanus, Hib and meningococcal meningitis, for starters. Her list was nowhere near “all those vaccine-preventable illnesses known to man”.

Let’s keep picking on your blog post, shall we?

If formaldehyde didn’t belong in the human body, then why is it found there, and why do we make enzymes necessary to process it? See: formaldehyde dehydrogenase.

What the hell has scurvy “eradication” got to do with infectious diseases? It’s a result of vitamin deficiency! Not even sanitation helped that one go away.

Your graph showing nothing about the eradication of the measles, seeing as it shows deaths, rather than incidence. Incidence graphs would show a clear decline in the measles that follows widespread vaccination, wherever and whenever it has commenced.

You diss anecdote, but then cite an ‘unofficial survey’, then pretend there are no studies comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated children, completely ignoring this German study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057555/

Seems like your hours and hours of research have been a waste of time, if you can get that much wrong just in one blog post.

• Laura says:

Injecting formaldehyde directly into your bloodstream is a lot different than ingesting it. Scientists really don’t know what happens to chemicals injected into the human body.

Increase in good nutrition = reduction or eradication of illnesses and deaths from illnesses.

Like chicken pox, the measles cannot kill you.

That German study had the unvaccinated at 0.7% of the sample, versus 99.3% vaccinated. No trend can emerge with such an atrociously larger control group. The paper is vague on what exactly vaccine records contained (i.e. hep b at the hospital at birth, pediatrician’s office?), and much less vaccinations are given in Germany than in the US or Canada.

• Mar says:

Wrong about measles. The bad, red measles can kill. It can also lead to blindness, pneumonia and encephalitis. There was a time when it was among the leading causes of blindness. When I had them in the 50’s, I had to stay in a dark room, could not read or watch TV. I soaked in soda or oatmeal baths in a dark bathroom and was covered in calamine lotion. I have a corneal condition that may relate back to my measles. Once again, vaccinations have immensely reduced childhood mortality as well as injury. Each parent has to weigh the facts – and by the way, study the facts. One blogger mentioned thimerosal – which is mercury. It has largely been removed. Never figured out how anyone thought mercury was a good thing to inject in children in spite of it’s anti-fungal properties. Before tetanus vaccines, my mother almost died from tetanus when as a child, she stepped on a rusty nail. Not sure I do not disagree with the comments on the drug companies – we will never cure the cold, HIV, or cancer because those are huge cash cows for the drug companies. But coming from someone whose parents lived through a lot prior to what medicine has to offer now, we have a lot to thank them for. I have been a “victim” of 2 faulty products – lost a pregnancy at 4 months due to one, and am dealing with a metal on metal hip right now. I also had too much of a medication that caused kidney damage. I blame some on the docs. We cannot count on the medical system to cure all our ills. To be honest, even though we would all like to hope our docs were Greg House (from TV’s House), they are all really flying blind. My primary care doc does little but refer me. Sometimes I feel like the elephant that was touched by 3 blind men each touching a different part and having a different picture. None see the whole picture. Please research.

• Lily says:

Having a healthy lifestyle does not guarantee a life free of illness…this includes cancer! I hear so much about how “having a healthy lifestyle will help to prevent cancer and other terminal illnesses”…bs! I have seen unhealthy people live longer than the most extreme healthnut! “Oh, how could I have cancer? I eat only organic food, no sugar/carbs/protein/etc! I exercise everyday!” Sure, diet and exercise aren’t going to help if you have a family history…that’s just a crapshoot whether or not you get it. But when a person practically kills themself to live longer but ends up dying sooner anyway from something they were trying to prevent, it seems like this whole “I want to be immortal” thing has gone too far.

WHere in this article was scurvy mentioned? I read it twice and still did not find the word “scurvy” in it except in your comment. As for the chart, look closer…the decline in deaths from measles started happening about 40 years before the introduction of the vaccine. Pick apart the article more thoroughly before you comment…I just picked apart your comment on this topic.

And the first blog writer did not contract some of the “now-vaccine-preventable” illnesses…something that contradicts her line of thought. Thank you for picking apart that tangent for us, even though you side with her.

As for the German study, it was funded by NIH…a government agency. In other words, most likely funded by pharmaceutical companies and a government bank account to sway the results in such a way to convince all the “sheep” that if they don’t vaccinate, then every person in the world will die and it will be their fault, not poor hygiene and inadequate care. If all the research you did produced one government-backed study, then you did not do your homework.

10. Alisa says:

I need to point out one thing that I realized a few years ago. Those charts show a reductions in deaths from diseases, not a reduction in their actual numbers. I’ve been making the flawed leap for years, myself, but I looked at incidences of the diseases and they didn’t actually start disappearing wholesale until after vaccines were introduced. HOWEVER, diseases for which we do not have vaccines ALSO started disappearing after we started using vaccines. So it’s a partial truth – we stopped dying from these diseases because started understanding how to treat diseases and made medical advances. we started ERADICATING most disease, vaccines or not, after we started understanding sterile technique, the importance of nutrition, and how bacteria and viruses spread.

• Lily says:

Exactly! The chart clearly shows decline some 40 years before the vaccine. Hygiene and proper care did NOT require the need to inject ourselves with a bunch of chemicals and the illness itself. Sure, it may be “dead”, but it’s still the illness. Any person can carry the right genetic composition to reactivate the disorder. How many kids vaccinated from polio GOT polio???? More than the government would like us to know. And the printouts from the doctor’s office? “Financial compensation for vaccine injury has been extremely rare”…..if billions of dollars is rare, I’d hate to see what it will be labeled as when the amount gets higher! Plus, how do we know that these diseases haven’t mutated, like the flu virus does? Has anyone thought of that? Could it be that either A) our vaccines do not really last as long as the “lifetime defense” claims made by the government and the medical profession, or B) these strains have begun to mutate, thus rendering all these vaccines useless???

11. Samantha says:

So, MERK lists lots of serious possible side effects to their MMR vaccine. Did you know that Tylenol side effects can include hepatitis, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, acute liver failure, and Stevens-Johnson syndrome? Just because something CAN cause a serious side effect doesn’t mean that it happens with frequency or that the risks outweigh the benefits. I personally think that the benefits outweigh the risks for almost all vaccines. I’ve done my research and have come to the conclusion that vaccines are a social responsibility. The fact that recent whooping cough outbreaks are occurring in areas notorious for low vaccine rates emphasis this.

• Lily says:

That’s why people need to stop being sheep and do their own research and get as much information as possible, from both sides. People who just follow the flock are bound to experience the same fate as the rest…whatever it may be. I do know a little boy who has an auto-immune disorder and has yet to “contract” any of these illnesses. His mother keeps him and his 3 siblings healthy and does not put her career before her kids’ health.

• Prudence Dagg says:

That would be Merck. There are a couple of issues with this argument:

First, that would only be relevant to those who give their children Tylenol without a second thought. I don’t. EVERY medication has side effects and thus should only be used when there is no other reasonable option.

Second, even those who use Tylenol are generally not promoting it for everyone else or saying “The benefits outweigh the risks.” They are more willing to give respect for that parent making his/ her own decision.

The problem with promoting universal/ almost-universal vaccination is that every person, like you, must acknowledge some risk to be reasonable at all. Some claim it’s negligible. Maybe so. But what about that 1/ 10,000 or even 1/ 100,000? Does his/ her life not matter? Does the life of the parent, who becomes a full-time caretaker with the spouse assuming the breadwinning (IF they are the lucky ones whose marriage makes it) not matter? Oh, I know, there are worse things. But when coping with the extreme behavior issues or mounting medical bills, it may not feel like it.

Why aren’t the ethical ones who like vaccines nonetheless calling for SAFER measures to protect ALL children, believing that ALL of them deserve protection, not just “the ninety and nine”?

• E Tully says:

Samantha, you logic is flawed. Tylenol can cause significant liver problems, and according to an FDA panel, 15,000 people end up in the ER each year with acetaminophen poisoning, and it is the most common cause of acute liver failure in the US. If you want some anecdotal evidence, talk to a nurse. I have had a few nurses mention this to me as one of the reasons that they stay away from all drugs.

If it’s listed on an insert as a known side effect, it DOES happen. What real benefit are you getting from that Tylenol, that you would risk liver damage?

• Mar says:

Can’t tell you how many times I have seen people pop Tylenol like candy and then take a drink. Alcohol should NEVER be consumed with Tylenol (acetaminophen or APAP). That is asking for liver damage. Advil or ibuprofen can also react with other meds. Just because something is sold over the counter, does not mean it has no dangers or side effects. For one, ibuprofen mixed with the acid reducer omeprazole can cause other digestive damage – ulcerative colitis, gallstones, etc. Also mixing it with diuretics can cause kidney damage – something that may not be found until the damage is done. Like I said, educate yourselves.

12. A Registered Nurse says:

Bravo! Good article. Just so you know, there are people over on the healthcare side of the fence that totally agree with you. Believe it or not, I don’t even own a tinfoil hat. Keep up the good work.

13. MicheleG says:

I loved the blog… Thank you. The only thing that stood out to me though was the statement about Aluminum, Mercury and Formaldahyde not belonging in the human body. This isn’t completely accurate as we do ingest these chemicals naturally through many foods. How body is designed to eliminate them quickly, usually w/in 24 hours. The problem is when we inject them via a needle we bypass our bodies normal process of elimination and it can take up to 3 weeks for them to leave. I am almost sure that is what you meant, but in all honesty it didn’t come across that way.

14. Tara says:

Thank you for this well written article. I did lots of research before deciding not to vaccinate my son and the deciding factors for me ended up being the statistical data from the CDC and the pharma companies that clearly show that in most cases (if not all) my child has a higher chance of having a vaccine injury than from the actual disease the vaccines are trying to prevent. I am so happy with my decision and feel so frustrated that this issue brings so much judgement from other moms and even my son’s doctor. We had to switch care providers until I could find one that agreed to take us as a patience. :\

15. Jennifer M says:

This is what happens when people get all of their “science” information from Age of Autism, the Canary Party, “thinking moms” (ha ha!) or Jenny McCarthy. The ‘information’ coming from blog sites (such as this one), is skewed towards this uninformed point of view. Hundreds of science journal articles find no link between autism and vaccines- but the anti-vaxers continue to claim a link based on blog information. Anti-vaxers are so much like 9-11 refuters, or climate change deniers. You won’t believe the information in front of your eyes, because you believe in Wakefield or other proven liars. You post your ‘unofficial surveys’ as if they are truth – but they come from an anti-vax blog site!!

In my opinion, there are too many bored moms, or Munchhausen by Proxy moms out there who have seriously damaged their children. But I don’t write a blog about it – nor do I go spreading my “OPINION” as if it is truth. People need to be very careful what they believe. FYI – all medications have some reported side effects. I will protect my family (and protect those with weakened immune systems) by having them vaccinated, because I am a decent human being, and not self absorbed and self centered to believe that my child is the center of the freaking universe.

• Laura says:

Most parents who choose not to vaccinate are more concerned with the myriad of side effects, autism being one of them as listed in the manufacturer’s package insert, that can and do happen in vaccinating babies and children. I have not said that vaccines cause autism, and I have cited many credible research articles in this post.

I am curious to know if you have all of your vaccinations up to date? Because if not, and you consider the unvaccinated a threat to those with weakened immune systems, then you need to do some more research into the concept of “herd immunity”.

• Alta says:

Jennifer, what a pity to see someone (such “a decent human being”) actually being so extremely critical and judemental. Your comments are clearly filled with irony, so perhaps you should think twice about what you are writing before just scribbling such nonsense. You have achieved nothing more than convincing me (and I bet many other readers) of the narrow-mindedness of pro-vaccine activists.

fYi, there is no excuse for anyone to be uninformed in this technological age (it is sad that so many people are SO mis-informed) and if you knew the amount of time and effort that goes into researching this, you would not insult my intelligence as to state that I, “as a bored mother as you would call people like myself”, obtain all the information that mould my beliefs from blog sites like these only. You seem to be uninformed about the magnitude of information and facts out there and the amount of precious time and effort it takes to obtain it and work through it. I would not change the numerous amount of hours I have put into this subject for anything in the world, as I believe that I have come to the truth by doing so.

And another fYi, to me my child IS the center of the universe!!!! It makes me really worried that you insinuate that you are not so self-absorbed and self-centered that your child is not this to you???

At the end of the day, all I can say is that each parent should rest assured with what they believe is right for their children – and be prepared to live with the consequences of those decisions (that being said, I am happy that I am not your poor child). My heart just aches for people who were mis-informed and now has to live with the heartbreaking reality of what was caused by poisonous and toxic ingredients in vaccines.

Laura, thank you for writing some sense!! It is lovely to see people becoming more informed on the risks of vaccines. I loved your post!

16. Carolyn says:

Can you explain and back up this statement: “A healthy, pre­vi­ously breast­fed, well nour­ished child will not suf­fer from the actual measles.” ? In the comment section, you note that you are not dispensing medical advice, but this does seem to be advice.

• Laura says:

This has to do with the fact that the data pertaining to deaths from particular diseases is skewed by those who had underlying medical conditions.

There is too much information to cover on the subject so instead of going into it here I had planned to discuss it in future posts.

• Mar says:

I was healthy. I was breastfed. I had measles at age 7. Breastfeeding passes along some antibodies that mom had- many of them in the initial colostrum, but it does not fix everything. Just because I had chicken pox, I passed that immunity on to my kids, but the immunity was not permanent. My doc said it was only for the time I breastfed my kids. Also, I found early on with my kids, that what I ate affected my kids. If I drank coffee, tea or cola they would yell, if I ate green apples they would yell, if I ate grapefruit they would yell. If I ate beans they would toot! Now I wonder if what we eat since we are little, or indeed what our mothers ate, is also affecting the quality of our breast milk and what we are putting in our kids bodies. Breastfeeding is the best for our kids, but it will not give them the ongoing immunity some have mentioned here – unless you are still breastfeeding at 7!
      Nursing mothers are encouraged to drink milk to replace any calcium lost to milk production. Cows are fed GMO corn. It is in their milk (read up – antibodies and insecticide) – so now in ours. Few cows are grass fed anymore – organic only means no antibiotics. Whole organic milk (especially grass fed) has been known to be higher in Omega 3 fatty acids. 2% milk is higher in cholesterol than whole milk. It is the Omega 3’s that are removed when removing fat. So drink whole organic milk. Formula has high fructose corn syrup (GMO corn again). Soy is almost always GMO and soy has been known to retard male hormones and bring on early puberty in girls. Soy is a phido estrogen. I am lactose intolerant, so are my kids. My kids both travel, and in Europe where cows are mostly grass fed, (and there is no GMO corn) they do not have the problem and happily drink milk and eat cheese.

17. Taximom5 says:

Brilliant–a great debunking of both Parker’s “article” and the bashing of vaccine critics that we see so much of.

18. Anonymous says:

I think the point that is overlooked in the article you are writing a “rebuttal” for is that she is a woman who grew up unvaccinated, disagrees with it & now vaccinates her own children. That is the key. What’s NOT key & should NOT be in any internet article are the medical facts. Posts written on blogs, like yours, are opinions. Perhaps you don’t agree with the other writer’s opinions, but do not write a “rebuttal”, full of facts you pulled off the internet. Your article has just as many holes as hers. Both of you have an opinion about something, neither of you are doctors. There are two very important things I would like you to be aware of: 1. You criticize that other writer for doing the EXACT same thing you are doing here! 2. When you mention how “painful it is” for parents to read her article if their children suffered from vaccine related injuries…..guess what: for parents (like myself) who watched their child suffer & almost die of a disease that there is a vaccine for, YOUR article is painful.

19. Anonymous says:

What a joke. Please explain to me why I’m taking care of patients in an ICU setting that have to be placed on life support because of the flu virus, not just H1N1 but influenza A and B. We had several pass away in 2009 during that horrible outbreak and we have had several die this year too… guess what its being attributed to, lack of vaccinations and the strain coming back around because not enough people are being vaccinated each year and the prevelance of it gets worse. People who are misinformed about vaccinations ruin it for those that are educated and informed on it’s benefits. Way to go for keeping America’s diseases still circulating in the 21st Century. Well done.

20. Indigo says:

Yeah, she’s wrong about some stuff including Queen Elizabeth’s death and how antibiotic resistance works. You are wrong about even more stuff.

I’m late to the party, but to add to what someone above already listed…

She doesn’t try to claim that all the diseases she had could have been prevented from by vaccines – she specifically states that only some of them could have been. The point is that people keep saying youd don’t need vaccine becaue if you just avoid vaccines and sugar and eat right etc. you won’t get sick. Well, she did those things, yet she got sick a lot.

“698 VAERS reports are almost six times more than the num­ber of measles cases.”

So?

This is because we live in a highly vaccinated society. Quit vaccinating entirely, and then we will have no reports to VAERS, but hundreds of thousand to millions of measles cases a year, and we could expect 500 or so deaths a year.

That’s like saying that people used to slip on the ice and hurt themselves, so we have been clearing the pavement regularly for the past five years to ensure that it is always free of ice. By the way, in the past five years we have had no reports of anyone slipping on the ice, so clearly the ice is not a danger and we can stop clearing our pavement.

I only see two deaths when I search VAERS? In any case, VAERS is adverse events, not averse reactions. It is not clear that either of those deaths was actually caused by the vaccine. There is a death report for Gardasil for a girl who was killed when she fell down a well – how likely was it that that actually had anything to do with the vaccine?

VAERS is meant to be a warning system to flag unusual patterns and say “we should look into that.” It is not meant to provide any conclusive information.

“Most of these ill­nesses, much like scurvy, scar­let fever and typhoid fever, were well on their way to erad­i­ca­tion before the advent of vac­cines,”

Nope. Death rates did go down drastically due to better nutrition, living conditions, better medical treatment, and better access to medical care. Anyone born prior to 1957 (would have been six when they started vaccinating for measles) is assumed to have had measles, because yes, it is like chickenpox for that generation in that everyone got it (though it actually is a more serious disease than chickenpox). Then virtually everyone in my generation got chickenpox – it certainly didn’t start going away until they started vaccinating. These diseases were not going away prior to vaccination.

“The con­cept of herd immu­nity is nil, since the major­ity of the adult pop­u­la­tion is not vac­ci­nated. Our child­hood vac­ci­na­tions only last for an aver­age of 7 years”

Again, nope. If they only lasted seven years, there would be boosters on the schedule, the way they are for tetanus (though while tetanus vaccine may start wearing off which is why there is a booster in the US, it often doesn’t and can last much longer, which is why in the UK they don’t do regular boosters until old age). Measles is among those vaccines which is believed (and evidence so far supports) to give lifelong immunity.

Yes, there does seem to be a problem with the new whooping cough vaccine not lasting nearly as long as DPT which my generation got.

“An unof­fi­cial sur­vey com­par­ing unvac­ci­nated chil­dren to vac­ci­nated chil­dren shows that vac­ci­nated chil­dren are 2 to 5 times more likely to suf­fer from dis­eases such as asthma, aller­gies, and eczema than unvac­ci­nated chil­dren. ”
    No it doesn’t.

Putting aside for a second that it is an internet survey and so should not be taken seriously at all, the very first section says that most of the responses are for kids age 0 to 2, and some diseases they talk about don’t normally appear until kid are older, so they provide handy charts with age breakdowns which you can see by clicking each chart. Which is nice and all.. but then they completely ignore these age breakdowns and all the information on their main page and all their conclusions involve comparing all their responses (remember, mostly younger kids) to data from kids of all ages or even just older kids.

For instance, looking at autism, their chart shows a rate of un-vaxed autism as 0.47%, which sounds pretty good when right below it they say the CDC estimate that 1.1% of kids have autism, and I’ve seen several people talking about this use “study” use that as evidence that unvaxed kids have less than half the autism rate. Except the 0.47% is for kids who are mostly under two, and autism is usually diagnosed after that. The CDC number is for 8 year olds on the basis that most cases of autism are identified by then. If you click through to the age breakdown from the survey results, the older age groupings all have rates higher than 0.47% with the highest being the 9-10 age group which has a rate of 2.05%, nearly twice the CDC reported incidence rate.

This age problem occurs for several condition in the survey. The authors also try to compare their parent reported allergy rate to the KIGGS results which were based on blood tests, and several of the questions are too open to interpretation for the results to be compared to data collected through more accurate means.

• Laura says:

VAERS is all we have to go on, and personally I believe it to be reliable, at least as a helpful indicator.

“Deaths” were well on their way to eradication, I will specify in my post thank you for the correction.

The Physician’s Desk Reference says that all of the antibody levels induces by MMR have been shown to last up to 11 years (http://www.pdr.net/). NO vaccine provides life long immunity, each vaccine has an estimated length of effectiveness and I will go into this for each disease in future blog posts. If you don’t believe it, check your own antibody levels and see for yourself.

Like I stated about the survey, it is all we have to go on as there are no official studies on the matter.

21. Pingback: What’s the Big Deal About Chicken Pox? | For the Love of Real Food